Pain management plays a significant role in all medical procedures and cosmetic work is not spared. While pain is expected post surgically, the discomfort while in the surgical process is controlled by conscious sedation or general anesthesia that would numb the body of pain. This assures the patient that in the duration of the procedure, no discomfort is felt as the surgeon painstakingly removes or adds to the areas being labored on. The pain intervention through sedation can either put the patient to sleep or half awake.
Local anesthesia are drugs applied to a part of the body which put the patient in a sedated, half-awake mode often times called "twilight sedation". In general anesthesia, a drug is introduced through the veins via drip off and the patient is unconscious, asleep with no knowledge of the surgery at all. An anesthesiologists is present to closely monitor patient’s condition. This part of the surgery appreciates the cost of the procedure quoted.
How is pain managed while in a cosmetic procedure?
- Rhinoplasty-is done under general anesthesia or conscious sedation. To save on cost, doctors recommend conscious sedation as its effects are not any different from the costlier general anesthesia.
- Mammoplasty- the job is done under a general anesthesia delivered through the veins in an IV drip off. The anesthesiologist is with the surgeon while he performs the procedure. This addition of service add to the high premiums paid for breasts augmentation.
- Bipharoplasty- local anesthesia is normally used in and is introduced to the human body 10-25 minutes before surgery. Some elect to have it done without the benefits of a local anesthetic. This is intolerably a rough painful feeling that would run about 2-3 hours.
- Facelift- with the total number of hour needed, general anesthesia is used. Some are introduced through IV sedation. The procedure normally uses tubes placed in the throat and breathing machines are on standby. To do way with these, doctors opt for general anesthesia.
- Lipoplasty-- depending on the area, local or general anesthesia can be used. There will be bruising on the site. Increased activity is not tolerated until after two weeks. The effect is the fat, will form back without proper diet and exercise. Upper arms are the only sight that won't regain fat back as commonly described by cosmetic surgeons.
The Analogy of discomfort
In the above procedures, the pain that one has to put up with is managed as consistently as the need for intervention could be. The procedures last several hours that the use of sedation drugs had to be part of the medical procedure. There is also the role of an anesthesiologist specifically trained to handle risks which might occur during the procedure. The choice between conscious sedation and general anesthesia will vary depending on the patient's toleration of pain and how wide the area being worked on is.